Auto Repair And Maintenance: Can An Amateur Mechanic Deliver?
Auto repair and maintenance is an essential part of your road life. You follow traffic rules, you drive safely and you never forget to have your vehicle checked regularly. The road poses many hazards already so you need to do your share of safety precautions.
When it comes to auto maintenance and repair, you need to be careful as well. Sometimes instead of having your car in perfect condition after a day or two in the repair shop, you end up paying more for a simple mechanical problem. The culprit? Amateur mechanics who instead of making things easy for you end up bungling your car’s conditions.
Let us get things straight here, not all amateur mechanics make your life hell. In fact, there are those who are gifted and even charge for a fraction of a price. Amateur or not, to avoid inconvenience, you as the owner should be involved in the process so you can readily clarify things when miscommunication between client and mechanic occurs.
1. Take time to know your vehicle. The owner must be the one who knows his car inside and out. There is car manual that you can read. Give it ample time. It wouldn’t take long to read it from cover to cover. After reading the manual, keep it handy. Put it in your car compartment. Whenever there’s a need for it, you can easily refer it to it for maintenance or repair.
2. Get a second opinion. It’s not only the maintenance or repair price that you should be concerned about. More importantly, it’s what the mechanic has to say about the whole process. You know your car and it wouldn’t be hard to say if the mechanic is just ripping you off. When in doubt, shop around for more quotes.
3. Ask, ask, ask! As a customer, your opinion matters. It’s your car that they’re repairing anyway and you’re the one paying. So before letting the mechanic start working on your car, make sure that you asked the pertinent questions. Put everything into writing especially when it comes to parts that needed changing. You can go look for the parts yourself to compare prices and brands. After all, you will be deciding in the end which you think is best for your vehicle.
4. Clarify things right from the start. This is no time to be timid or shy. If you don’t understand a thing what the mechanic is saying, request him to explain it to you in layman’s term. Like what is this part for and why it needs to be changed. To clarify now will save you a lot of money later.
5. Some mechanics when they noticed that the car owner just agree to anything that they say will try to add on to the damage. They may even suggest things that are not needed just to jack up the maintenance or repair costing. It’s best to show your car for repair in different service centers to see if you really need all those things.
Getting the right information will get you the things that you need at the right price. Protect yourself from rip-offs and unprofessional service by going to several shops before deciding which one will give you the right maintenance and repair service that you need.
Tags: amateur, auto, checked, deliver, drive, essential, follow, forget, haxards, life, maintenance, mechanic, never, part, poses, precautions, regularly, repair, road, rules, safely, share, traffic, vehicle